Friday, February 27, 2009

Raise The Bar.

So I'm having a convo with my man and he says to me, 'Yo D, what's going with the music man? It's crazy! Ain't nothing moving me!' Personally, I take issue with that statement (keep in mind my man is a musician himself). My answer to him was simple. Maybe over-simplified. "Provide better music."

It's amazing how many musicians complain about the quality of material out in the music universe. As little as five years ago, I would/could accept this as a valid argument. But not now. Not today. The playing field continues to level out between major label ops and indie grassroot movements. By no means am I saying that the distribution process is fair or balanced, but I am saying that the quality of material standards can be challenged.

To my fellow musicians, show 'em how we do this son! The public will settle if that's all they are served. It's like the only fruit stand in the neighborhood and they knowingly continue to serve bad produce. The public can either eat bad fruit, eat no fruit... or find some new suppliers. The consumer can't find your better product if you don't set up shop correctly.

Stop making excuses. Set the standard. Raise the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment