Friday, March 6, 2009

Stay in Your Lane.

There was time when I worried about what other folks were doing or not doing. I spend hours on end wondering why someone would not take advantage of opportunities that were right in front of them. But I learned two very important lessons from this bad habit of mine.

One, most people don't cherish and/or appreciate anything that is GIVEN to them. To most, there is no real value attached because they didn't give up anything, they didn't lose anything, but they gained it all.

But more importantly, I learned something else about myself. That two, I was afflicted with envy. I was so concerned with others and their "opportunities" not because I couldn't understand why they didn't take full advantage of them, but because I was not being given that same opportunity. I liken this to someone sitting at a table in a five-star restaurant in the VIP section with the finest of food and drink, but they can't see that because they are so preoccupied with what's on everyone else's table.

What changed my perception is the fact that one knows how these opportunities were attained. To sit and contemplate someone else's fortune just doesn't make sense. At least to me anymore.

So, with that train of thought, I began a journey of self-definition, self-security and self-confidence. One step at a time, one day at a time. Today, I don't worry about other people's success or fortune. Instead, I say "that's what's up" and continue down my road of success.

Sometimes the street you follow someone down is not the lane intended for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment